This page provides information about viewing the total solar eclipse on Monday, April 8th, 2024, in the northeastern Ohio area.
- This is a once-in-a-lifetime event. The last total solar eclipse visible in Ohio was in 1806. The next will be in 2099.
- This is a total solar eclipse, meaning the sun will be fully blocked by the moon.
- The maximum duration of totality will be almost four minutes if you are at the centerline of the eclipse path. Further from the centerline, the duration will decrease to about 2 minutes at the edge of the path of totality.
We’re working out the final details and will make an announcement via email and on this web page when ready.
Path and Timing
The eclipse will move from southwest to northeast across Ohio. The eclipse will be total between the blue lines. The closer you are to the red centerline, the longer the duration of the eclipse. Outside the blue lines, you will see a partial eclipse.
|Partial Begins||Totality Begins||Maximum||Totality Ends||Partial Ends|
|1:59 p.m. EDT||3:13 p.m. EDT||3:15 p.m. EDT||3:17 p.m. EDT||4:29 p.m. EDT|
Protecting Your Eyes During the Eclipse
It’s extremely important to protect your eyes when viewing the eclipse. Here’s information about safety from NASA: https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/eclipses/2024/apr-8-total/safety/
Where to View the Eclipse
The CAA event for the eclipse will be an excellent place to view the eclipse. Otherwise, finding a good spot is easy.
- Try to get near the centerline. The closer you are to the centerline, the longer the eclipse will last.
- You’ll need an unobstructed view of the southwest sky.
The eclipse will be about halfway from the horizon to the zenith.
Gear and Books
Order what you need early. These will sell out long before the eclipse.
|Solar Glasses||Sunglasses and any other sort of filter are not sufficient to protect your eyes. You need special solar eclipse glasses.|
Search for “Solar Eclipse glasses” on Amazon or elsewhere.
Number 14 welder’s glass will also work.
|Camera lens filters||Even a 10-stop neutral density filter is not sufficient. |
To photograph the sun before or after totality you need a solar filter like this.
|Road Atlas for the Total Solar Eclipse of 2024|
|Eclipse Bulletin: Total Solar Eclipse of 2024 April 08||https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1941983448|